Land Survey Technician Reporting Relationship: Survey Manager/ Director of Operations Overall Position Mandate: To significantly contribute to the ongoing success of Leading Edge Geomatics (LEG) by conducting efficient ground surveys that provide highly accurate and precise ground coordinates for use as “ground truthing” with flight data, and processing the data using best practice documents and workflow processes to ensure the highest levels of accuracy, data integrity and client satisfaction.
Key Position Objectives: Surveying
Collect the highest quality, most complete and accurate survey data at all times; ensuring client expectations are consistently met and/or exceeded. This will be achieved by:
- Effectively planning ground control surveys to meet project requirements within the timelines required.
- Determining the most cost effective and efficient manner of collecting accurate and complete ground control field data, taking weather, time of year, project size and resources into consideration.
- Packing all survey equipment, double checking to ensure everything is packed and operating properly before departure.
- Thoroughly familiarizing yourself with the project areas to be surveyed, identifying appropriate control points prior to departure.
- Correctly setting up, connecting, configuring and levelling the survey equipment, taking sufficient numbers of measurements to confirm the measurements are correct.
- Carefully locating all ground control points when in the field, making sure that the points line up perfectly and/or that the spatial errors are acceptable in accordance with the requirements for tolerances.
- Closely observing data on provincial control monuments simultaneously with the control points identified during the planning stage.
- Quickly and effectively troubleshooting equipment or software problems.
- Taking comprehensive, detailed and accurate field notes about all procedures used.
Deliver survey data of the highest levels of accuracy and integrity, meeting all project specifications within the timelines required and meeting or exceeding client expectations at all times. This will be achieved by:
- Quickly and efficiently running raw data through the TBC software, making necessary adjustments of survey data to provincial monuments to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Accurately inputting survey data into the NRCAN and PPP on-line processing software, comparing PPP results to adjusted data and published coordinates, reviewing thoroughly for discrepancies.
- Notifying the Manager of Positioning or another senior staff member when discrepancies are identified.
- Thoroughly and completely documenting surveys that do not come out as expected, identifying potential sources of errors and making recommendations to prevent problems from occurring in the future.
Ensure data and results of the highest accuracy, integrity and quality are delivered to clients on a consistent, ongoing basis, thus ensuring repeat business and referrals. This will be achieved by:
- Making a commitment to continuous quality improvement.
- Clearly identifying customer requirements and striving to not just meet, but exceed them.
- Consistently following LEG best practice processes and workflows to ensure the highest levels of data integrity, accuracy and quality.
- Scrupulously following all of the steps in Quick Base, documenting project status in Quick Base twice a day.
- Conducting all quality control checks to the letter.
- Scrupulously following company procedures to copy and archive data at all times, completing a bit check any time data is copied to ensure the data is complete.
- Regularly reading best practice documents and manuals.
- Making process improvement suggestions and contributing to best practice documents.
- Regularly researching new surveying and remote sensing technologies and service providers.
- Assisting the Positioning, LiDAR and photogrammetry teams as needed.
- Actively participating at trade conferences.
- Maintenance of survey equipment and basic vehicle maintenance as required
- Aid in organization and rearrangement of office furniture and equipment as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to achieve each of the key objectives outlined above. The requirements that follow are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to achieve these objectives.
Education and Experience
Must have successfully completed training program in surveying, remote sensing and/or GIS through a recognized post-secondary institution. Must also be able to fly in an airplane. Strong computer skills are also required. A valid driver’s license is also required. Experience in field surveying is considered an asset.
- Possesses a strong work ethic, is dependable and responsible, with the ability to be prompt and on time on a consistent basis.
- Committed to ongoing professional development and learning, taking the initiative to attend training and upgrade personal knowledge and skills.
- Is a positive and constructive team player, willingly assisting fellow team members and sharing knowledge.
- Contributes to team spirit and acts as a motivator to others, sharing information in a cooperative and timely manner with others to achieve LEG’s overall business objectives.
- Demonstrates a helpful and positive approach to all business dealings with clients and colleagues and strives for a win-win situation at all times.
- Ability to remain calm and under pressure; deals well with stress.
- Honesty and integrity are also required.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to change are also required.
- Is a self-starter who demonstrates the willingness to go the extra mile to meet individual or company objectives.
- Willingly takes on responsibility for tasks assigned, ensuring they are completed thoroughly and accurately, without having to be reminded.
- Actively participates and offers constructive suggestions that contribute to the success of the company.
- Understands how her/his actions affect business results and is committed and loyal to the business.
- Shows a willingness to pitch in for any task that needs doing to ensure the smooth running of the office and the business.
- Actively makes suggestions for process improvements and makes contributions to the best practice documents.
Survey Data Collection Skills
- Good planning and organizational skills, and the ability to plan survey missions to meet project requirements.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong commitment to quality and accuracy.
Client Relations Skills
- A passion for delivering quality client service to both internal and external customers is key. This includes a strong knowledge of quality customer service – what it is and how to deliver it, not only to external customers, but to internal customers as well.
- Possess a strong commitment to not only meeting, but exceeding customer/client expectations.
- Excellent verbal communication skills (speaking and listening) and the ability to make clients feel well served.
- There is a requirement for significant overtime from May to December, including weekend work.
- There is overnight travel required (up to four consecutive weeks).
- There is a risk of health or safety hazards and accidents.
- There is exposure to dirt, dust, fumes, heat, cold, noise and vibration.
- There is also exposure to extreme cold and heat and all types of weather conditions.
- Must be in good physical condition with the ability to lift and carry survey gear weighing up to 20 pounds uphill and through various types of terrain.
- Must be able to take safety precautions when taking photo points on roads and highways.