At Leading Edge Geomatics (LEG), our mission is to provide next generation service and technology solutions in the geomatics industry. LEG has grown to be one of the top providers of digital aerial photography and LiDAR throughout Canada and the United States. As a result of our expanding product offerings, we are seeking a new graduate to join our team as a Senior Remote Sensing Analyst. Reporting to LEG’s Geospatial Processing & Solutions Manager, this is a full-time position.
Overall Position Mandate: To significantly contribute to the ongoing success of Leading Edge Geomatics (LEG) by processing complete and accurate LiDAR aerial survey data using company workflow processes to ensure the highest levels of accuracy, data quality and client satisfaction.
Key Position Objectives:
Data Organization and Management
- Assisting with cataloguing and organizing all data (survey control, aerial, photography, LIDAR, etc.) ensuring data is labelled intelligently and consistently, so that team members can find data when needed
Trajectory Processing and Quality Control
- Follow and contribute to LEG best practices processes and workflows to ensure the highest levels of data integrity, accuracy and quality are maintained
- Accurately processing trajectories using GPS base stations, PP-RTX or other corrections methods to produce the smoothed best estimate to trajectory and relate it to specific sensors
- Precisely relating the trajectory to the photo centres
- Using correct sensor parameters, interior and exterior orientations, strip assignment, image preparations and ground control points to create a comprehensive aerial triangulation project and any reporting required
Maintain well-organized and standard format data sets to be easily ingested by the workflows currently in place. This will be achieved by:
- Providing data in the proper directory structure and projection
- Providing data that had been checked and is as free of errors as possible
- Providing all required metadata and associated reporting files
The overall goal is to deliver LiDAR survey data of the highest possible quality and accuracy; meeting all project specifications within the timelines required and meeting or exceeding client expectations at all times. This will be achieved by:
- Carefully reviewing the collected LiDAR point clouds to ensure data is coherent, has complete coverage, and does not contain anomalies resulting from sensor errors or mission planning.
- Generating thorough and complete georeferenced LAS files using the correct software settings for the sensor and navigation information within the timelines required.
- Carefully confirming that the sensor boresight is correct and that the LiDAR strips are vertically consistent with each other and within the system specifications.
- Efficiently using the appropriate software filters to automatically tile and classify information within the point cloud to specified layers.
- Thoroughly and accurately packaging LIDAR data for shipping to subcontractors and further for final deliverables within the timelines and to spec required.
- Contribute to develop scripts and methods to achieve various manipulations of data to create unique outputs for clients
- Consistently following LEG “best practices” processes and workflows to ensure the highest levels of data integrity, accuracy and quality, with QC processes and targets varying for different datasets.
- Carefully reviewing LIDAR to ensure that all anomalies resulting from the processing workflow (in house or introduced by subcontractors) are removed and tiles are ready for delivery
- Conducting a final quality check using the National Standards for Spatial Data Accuracy (NSSDA) using a combination of ground control points, and stereo compiled points to report the LiDAR accuracy.
Aerial Photography Processing
Additional duties may include Aerial Photography Processing as required:
- Thoroughly processing images using image development software and reviewing to assess their quality, coverage and suitability for project requirements.
- Following company best practices to run aerial triangulations, assessing the aerial triangulation report, identifying any blunders, systematic errors or other anomalies.
- Extracting an automated point matching digital terrain model (DTM) using company best practices for spacing and filtering of points
- Conducting a final quality check using the National Standards for Spatial Data Accuracy (NSSDA) using a combination of ground control points, and stereo compiled points to report the image accuracy.
- Carefully packaging all project deliverables, checking to confirm that all project requirements have been met.
- Assist with development of new products
- Source and maintain open access spatial data for use during data preparation and LiDAR processing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to achieve each of the key objectives previously outlined. The requirements that follow are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to achieve these objectives.
Education and Experience
Must have successfully completed a post-secondary training program in remote sensing and/or GIS (including mapping, projections and datum) from a recognized post-secondary institution. Strong computer skills are also required. Three years experience is required.
Additional notes include:
- Complete tasks with minimal intervention
- Be a self starter
- Responsible for assisting Project Coordinators with delivery QC and preparations when required
- Assist in training and mentoring less experienced staff members
- Occasionally lead teams when required
- Possesses a strong work ethic, is dependable and responsible, with the ability to be prompt and on time on a consistent basis.
- Committed to continuous professional development and learning, taking the initiative to attend training when permitted and upgrade personal knowledge and skills.
- Positive and constructive team player, willingly assisting fellow team members and sharing knowledge.
- Contributes to team spirit and acts as a motivator to others, sharing information in a cooperative and timely manner with others to achieve Leading Edge Geomatics’ overall business objectives.
- Demonstrates a helpful and positive approach to all business dealings with clients and colleagues and strives for a win-win situation at all times.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure; deals well with stress.
- Honesty and integrity are required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the efficient cataloguing, organizing and storage of all current survey data
- Process trajectories of the highest levels of accuracy and integrity to meet project specifications
- Provide assistance to the survey section in high survey season as needed
- Assist with flight planning as needed
- Provide Production Team with well-organized and standard format data sets
- Making process improvement suggestions and contributing to best practice documents
- Regularly researching new remote sensing and GIS/GPS technologies and service providers
Successful completion of a post-secondary degree program remote sensing and/or GIS. Must be a recent graduate between the ages of 15 and 30. Strong computer skills are also required. Experience with trajectory processing is considered an asset.
The ideal candidate is a highly-motivated, innovative thinker with the ability to lead others and work in a team. Additional attributes include:
- Very strong data management and organization skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Thorough working knowledge of computer database systems and data security requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A continuous learner and self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to project manage, and work with others
To learn more or apply to this position, please email your cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com . LEG thanks all applicants, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.